What is CAHPS®?
The Alliance measures member satisfaction using the CAHPS® (Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems) survey annually. The survey, also known as the Member or Patient Experience, looks at the health plan’s performance and members’ experiences in the provider office.
How is the CAHPS® survey conducted?
A sample of the Alliance’s members or parents of child members are mailed a CAHPS® survey. After completing the survey, the member or parent mails the survey back to our survey vendor. The vendor also follows up with a phone call to those members or parents that have not mailed back the survey.
Why does the Alliance conduct a CAHPS® survey?
The Alliance uses the survey results to identify opportunities to improve member satisfaction.
What can you do to improve your CAHPS® Scores?
- Please inform your patients that they may receive a survey asking about their experience.
- Encourage your patients to complete and mail back the survey.
- Always provide outstanding customer service to your patients.
The Alliance monitors provider network access and availability by conducting a variety of surveys to measure and ensure compliance with timely access standards:
- The Provider Appointment Availability Survey (PAAS), conducted annually, assesses provider compliance with availability for urgent and non-urgent appointments;
- The First Prenatal survey, conducted annually, assesses provider compliance with the 15 business days first prenatal appointment access standard;
- The After Hours Survey, conducted annually, assesses provider compliance with after-hours telephone access to an available practitioner, as well as with availability of member instructions for when experiencing a medical emergency;
- The CG-CAHPS® (Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems, Clinician & Group Survey), conducted quarterly, is a PCP post-visit survey that measures patient experience with health care providers and staff, as well as with in-office wait time, provider time to answer calls during business hours, and provider call return time during business hours; and
- Confirmatory Surveys, conducted on an ad-hoc basis, assess a random selection of providers against a timely access standards.
- To view the standard timely access requirements, please click here.
Additionally, a Provider Satisfaction Survey is conducted annually that solicits providers’ experiences with the health plan while serving Alliance members.
If you have any questions about CAHPS®, need more information, or would like a copy of the Alliance’s CAHPS® information, please contact:
- Alliance Provider Services Department
- Monday - Friday, 7:30 am – 5 pm
- Phone Number: 1.510.747.4510
- Email: email@example.com